Monday, May 5, 2008

Uniforms Created With Donated Fabric Allow 1100 Orphaned Students to Attend School

Our first stories from the field are from three of the 1,100 students who have benefited from our uniform program. They speak for themselves

MALITA ENELODI, (pictured below in the red skirt) an orphan who lost her mother
My name is Malita Enelodi and I am 18 years old. I lost my mother in the year 2000 and immediately I went to stay with my grandmother who is very old. I started facing various problems including lack of school support. Through other people in the village I managed to get contact with volunteers who were helping vulnerable children with school support who later linked me to Consol Homes. Currently, I am a form two student at Chiwe Secondary School and I will sit for Junior Certificate of Examination this year which I am confident that I will pass.


Today I am so excited with the school uniform I have received from Consol Homes and it has come at the right time as the second school term will open two days from now. Last school term I was being stopped from attending classes by the teachers because I had no school uniform but now I will attend classes freely. My full participation in classes will help me to progress well and eventually become self reliant when I finish my education. My grandmother cannot afford to buy me school uniform and I know she will be very happy when she sees this school uniform when I go back home

I am so glad that this school uniform has been made by my fellow friends who are orphans. I intend to help my fellow orphans when I become an adult. I am so thankful to Goods for Good for helping me to have a school uniform which was difficult to get on my own. It is really “Goods for Good” as the name says.

DANIEL MSONTHI, (pictured below in the center) an orphan who lost his mother
My name is Daniel Msonthi and I am 14 years old. I lost my mum when I was five years old. I am a student at Dzenza secondary school in Lilongwe. When I was selected to secondary school I had no one to pay school fees for me. A volunteer working in my village assisted me to get connected to consol Homes who started paying school fees for me.

With the school uniform I have received today, I will be learning without any worries. Last February 2007, I was sent out of classes because I had no school uniform. My friend had to lend one to me to attend classes, but I had to give it back to him when school closed. This uniform is my permission to enter into class. I expect to do well in class as I will stay full time in class: I will not miss any classes. My ambition is to become a lawyer. I want to execute justice to the poor which are oppressed.

I am glad that my fellow orphans who were trained in tailoring can produce such a beautiful uniform. I am so hopeful that the skills they have required will help them to generate income either through employment or self employed and move on with life.

CHIFUNIRO WILSON, (pictured below third from the right) an orphan who lost his mother
My name is Chifuniro Wilson and I was born in 1981. I lost my father in 2004 who was suffering from tuberculosis and I moved to stay with my brother. In 2007 when I was in standard eight, my brother approached the volunteers asking them if they could assist me to get school support, which finally worked. Now I am a form one student at Namitete Secondary School and Consol Homes is supporting me with school fees.

Today I am very happy that I have received a school uniform. I thank Goods for Good for making this happen. When we were closing last school term, the head teacher made an announcement that students who come without a school uniform would not be allowed to attend classes and added that such students will be sent back home. I was worried about this because I knew that missing classes would put me at a disadvantage: by missing classes I will not manage to achieve my goal of being in the top ten lists when class examination results are released. Additionally, it was interested to hear that this school uniform was made my fellow orphans and I know they have contributed something to my education and I am happy with them.

No comments: