Monday, March 16, 2009

Girl's Fashion Sweeps Malawi - Aaron Lewani

It has been almost three months since St. Mary Rehabilitation Centre celebrated its annual gala, “YEAR OF RAINBOW”. But for many students at Wisdom Primary School like Sophia Kingstone, the happy mood has yet to subside. Each day she still proudly fashions the dress presented to her at the gala. “I love my dress very much because of its color and style. I handle it with care because it makes me look more beautiful,” said Sophia as her friends listened attentively. She told me she would like to be a Member of Parliament, so that she may best represent the people in her community. As such, she remembers to work very hard at school to ensure that this ambition is achieved. Regarding the Rainbow celebrations, she said the day was unforgettable because the wonderful food and opportunity to dance with her friends; but her dress was her favorite part!


St. Mary’s conducts Rainbow activities each year during the month of November. These activities bring together all the center’s children to celebrate their progress. Children participate in reading poems, acting out dramas, performing traditional dances and even putting on fashion shows. Last year’s attendance was 550 children. This year Sister Rosemary, the teacher who coordinates the distribution and tailoring of all fabrics received by Goods for Good, made a speech. She reiterated that the new dresses will greatly contribute to the children’s education and that it was absolutely impossible to miss the overwhelming joy in the children as they conducted their performances.


In February 2009, I had the opportunity to interview a few more girls who attended the Rainbow Gala. Nine-year-old Maclina Majori told me, “I like education because it helps me to think and question things intelligently so I make good decisions in life. I am so confident that one day I will be strong enough to be independent, as a result of the education I am receiving today.” I asked her if the dress contributed to her confidence to be independent; and she took a moment to think about her reply. “That is a good question,” Maclina commented before answering. “Dress imeneyi imandiwaza kwambiri! . . .My dress is cool, this dress is my source of joy!” All the girls laughed and agreed that Maclina had made a good point. The dresses bring so much joy because they are tailored uniquely for each girl. The final comment from one of Maclina’s friend was, “I know I am the only girl to have this particular dress in my whole village. This is the first time something has been made just for me, it makes me so happy!”

All the girls seemed to boast the same joyful sentiments. The dresses and other clothing will surely have a long lasting impact on all 550 children far beyond November 2009. And, after talking to Sophia, Maclina and their friends, I have come to believe that fashion is truly an international form of expression for girls all around the world.

No comments: