Thursday, September 4, 2008

104 Big Smiles!

One day this past July, I visited Tiyambe Nawo Community Based Organization, where they were distributing clothing, provided by Goods for Good to children from their three child care centers: Tiyambe Nawo; Nsangu; and Mphanda. When we arrived at the center, the children welcomed us joyfully, and Tiyambe Nawo volunteers went ahead with the clothing distribution.

As the children began receiving their clothing, every one of them was coming out of the distribution room with big smiles. Looking at them, no one could miss the joy and excitement that these children had. I managed to meet few of them to hear why they felt such glee.

Major Maunda was the first child I chatted with. He said he would like to be a medical doctor after completing his education and likes playing football in his free time. Major explained, “I am very happy with these beautiful clothes I have just received. I will be putting them on when going to school, to wedding ceremonies, and to church. Without this I would have been wearing my old clothing, which is in a bad state.” Major, who stays with his mother, lost his father a couple of years ago. He was so thankful to those who gave the clothing and sent his greetings to them.

As the distributions continued, I met a young girl who was in a very jovial mood; her name is “Zione,” which means “watch that” in Chichewa. Zione likes playing netball and her favorite food dish is rice with meat. When I asked Zione about her new clothing she exlaimed “I am so excited to receive the clothing because I have found something to wear. My mom faces difficulties in buying me clothing so this is my greatest opportunity. Now I have clothing to wear at home and at school.” Twelve-year old Zione said she would work hard to reach her dream of becoming a nurse.

Lastly, I met Mr. Moses Chinzimu, a man in his late thirties. He told me: “I have received clothing for Mphatso, Suzen, and Hadwick: these are my young brother’s children. They could not come here because they went away to see a relative at a distant place. My brother died a year ago and left these three children, who are staying with their grandmother. The clothing will make the children look beautiful and dignified. I am so grateful to the people who are concerned with the needs of these children and provide support to them. It is very difficult for their guardians to get money to buy them food, let alone clothing.”

Indeed, the clothing brought much joy to the 104 children who received the clothing on this particular day!

No comments: